Thursday, March 6, 2014

Revival

I have neglected this blog. I have a few excuses, but not good ones. In true daydreamer form, the actual reason is that I just got bored with it and stopped for a while. I went on to write a blog for pay, for a couple of trucking recruiting sites. I need to be careful or I will get bored with that, too. I do not do well when I get bored. I tend to slack off, get sloppy, procrastinate...whatever you want to call it. As a child, my procrastination was chronic. But then again, in the schools I went to, the boredom was rampant. How they managed to suck the life out of this fascinating world, I do not know. I became a daydreamer to save my mind. I think it worked, though it did prevent me from going on to a fascinating career. I didn't know there were such wonderful careers available to me such as architect, pilot, writer.... Looking back, I wonder at how I just accepted the "Help Wanted: Female" ads as if there was nothing more. I didn't know that wonderful jobs were never advertised in the paper. The least boring job I knew I could get was teacher, so that is what I headed for in college. Until, of course, I got to the Education courses.....you guessed it, boring. So I dropped out and joined the Army. That was fun and challenging for quite a while. Unfortunately, before I could retire, it got....boring. I finally retired and had quite an awful time deciding what to do with the rest of my life, at only 43. I had not a clue what I wanted to do with my life. I had finally gotten a degree while in the Army, a Bachelor of Science in Occupational Education, with a concentration in Culinary Arts. This meant I could teach Culinary Arts. I got a job as a "permanent" substitute in the high school Culinary Arts class, finishing out the year when the teacher had to retire in January. Had a great time with the kids. When I went to apply for the actual job, though, I was told I was not qualified, because I didn't have a degree in Home Economics. Never mind that my degree was better, plus I had 22 years professional food service experience. That's when I decided to join my husband in driving a 18 wheeler. Now I have been doing that for sixteen years, aside from the three or so years I spent driving a bus for a retirement community. And guess what? Yep...I'm bored. I have pretty much mastered maneuvering the beast on highways and tight docking situations. I have solved each problem and met each challenge....several dozen times. I can feel it setting in. The dreaded boredom. I need a different set of challenges. I'll keep you posted when I figure out what they are.

No comments: