Friday, December 4, 2009

Terry said, "I love you!"

My grandson is three and a half. We all talk a lot in both families, and so of course we have encouraged his learning to talk. It was only fair to him!
The first really coherent sentence I heard him say, was, "Get down now!" He said this to me on his second birthday as he struggled to get down from my lap and go play. I was impressed - both by his using a whole sentence at two and by his independence. I let him down!
Since then, we cherish every word we get from him, especially since we don't get to see him but every six months or so, since we live in Alabama and he in North Carolina.
He was talking a lot when we visited last June. He had turned three at the end of April. I sat in the back seat with him, and the conversation went like this:
Terry: "Thassa red light. That means we stop."
Gramma (me): "I see!"
Terry: "Thassa green light. That means we can go."
Gramma: "Uh-HUH! What does a yellow light mean?"
Terry, pausing to think: "Slow DOWN!"
He commented on school buses, flags, and told me all about Thomas the Tank Engine, his current favorite thing.
But he endeared himself to me forever with this exchange, which took place as I leaned over to hug him bye-bye. He was sitting in his car seat and got this funny little almost sly look on his face.
Terry: "That was me."
Gramma: What was you, honey?"
Terry: "I haf a cow in my pants!"
Turns out he had just farted, and his Mom said that yesterday he had broken wind and she had remarked that it sounded like' "Moooo!"
Quite creative to decide there was a cow in his pants!
We have talked to him over the phone since then, and it has been fun, but not terribly clear what he is saying, not being able to look at his face.
But on the night of December first, 2009, albeit at his mother's prompting, my grandson said, "I love you!" Clear as day.
It adds a wonderful new dimension to the love between us.
I love you too, Terry.

3 comments:

Meandering Artist said...

He sounds like a joy...cow in his pants and all. Bless his Mom for helping him voice "I love you" it will not be long before he knows how to say that without a prompt to let him know the time to say it.
Hope you all find the real meaning and joy of Christmas this year!

DJ said...

Love to hear grandson stories, especially since our second is on the way! The first g'child is just 1 year old last November, doing some jabbering and taking steps on his own...so much to look forward to in the future.
Take care of yourself and let us know how you are doing~

Anonymous said...

Go figure, my granddaughter turned into a talker and has not stopped!
One of my favorite Kat quotes is," Keep your face on!" She said this to my mother when she was telling her to anticipate and watch for a letter in the mail! I thought that was very "deep" :-)